THE MALAY ARCHIPELAGO

Drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (Published by The London Printing & Publishing Company about 1856).

Royalty free map available at Steve Bartrick Antique Prints and Maps.

The use of tin currencies issued by the Malay Peninsula was not restricted to areas in the peninsula but extends to a large area in the Malay Archipelago. Although the term Malay Archipelago is widely used, there is no official definition for this area. The widely accepted definition would include Malaysia (the Malay Peninsula, including southern Thailand that connects the Peninsula to the Asian mainland), Brunei, Singapore, Sumatra, Java, Kalimantan, Sulawesi and islands in the waters surrounded by these large islands. (Source - Bank Negara Malaysia, 1995. Pameran Matawang Perdagangan Kepulauan Melayu (18 Mei - 14 Jun 1995) Unit Muzium Matawang, Bank Negara Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, p. 9.)


Sunday, June 27, 2010

AROUND THE NET - IPOHWORLD, SAVING YESTERDAY FOR TOMORROW

During my routine search for animal currency on the net I discovered Ipohworld. Ipohworld is an education-based, not-for-profit organization established in 2004 to promote awareness and appreciation of Perak, the Silver State of Malaysia and its unique, diverse and rich heritage, with particular focus on Ipoh and the Kinta Valley. Ipohworld is a fine example of non-government effort to promote appreciation of the local heritage.

Also covered in this website is the subject of Animal Money. There are several types of animals presented here, all being attributed to the state of Perak.

Fish

The 4 items presented here is a good spread of variety in terms of sizes and shapes. It is possible that Animal Currency in the shapes of fish is a more common denomination based on their sizes that is relatively smaller compared to bigger sized items in the shapes of other animals.

Clam

Based on my observation, Animal Currency in the form of shell-creatures are less common. A tin shell as big as a fist is known to exist.

Rooster

The rooster presented here is a beautiful piece. Genuine without a doubt as far as I'm concern.

Starfish

This starfish is a bit strange to me. I have a similar item in my collection. The mould of the starfish is an excellent piece to have in a collection.

Bird

I find bird items very interesting. What make them more interesting is the types that come with ring(s).

Goat

My apologies but I find it hard to see this item as being a goat. It looks like a bird to me. Nevertheless, it is a very beautiful piece that I believe was discovered in and acquired from a neighboring country.

Tortoise

This piece is a superb piece. Hollow tortoises are very very rare. There are only a few that are known to exist. I know for certain that this piece was acquired from a neighboring country.

Crocodile

This hollow crocodile is excellent. It is a piece that I would love to have in my collection to say the least.

I am not saying that this piece is not genuine but I do know that some of the "alleged forged items from the 1980s" are quite similar to this one. Based on my research, it is my conclusion that the alleged forged items were created based on real and genuine items found in Malacca in the 1980s.

Other forms of ingot currency presented;

Cap & Cone

Tampang

I'm happy to know that the above collection exist.

No comments: