THE MALAY ARCHIPELAGO

Drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (Published by The London Printing & Publishing Company about 1856).

Royalty free map available at Steve Bartrick Antique Prints and Maps.

The use of tin currencies issued by the Malay Peninsula was not restricted to areas in the peninsula but extends to a large area in the Malay Archipelago. Although the term Malay Archipelago is widely used, there is no official definition for this area. The widely accepted definition would include Malaysia (the Malay Peninsula, including southern Thailand that connects the Peninsula to the Asian mainland), Brunei, Singapore, Sumatra, Java, Kalimantan, Sulawesi and islands in the waters surrounded by these large islands. (Source - Bank Negara Malaysia, 1995. Pameran Matawang Perdagangan Kepulauan Melayu (18 Mei - 14 Jun 1995) Unit Muzium Matawang, Bank Negara Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, p. 9.)


Thursday, June 17, 2010

SPINK AND TIN ANIMAL CURRENCY

A few years ago I tried contacting Spink Singapore wanting to find out whether they could help me with materials for my research, the many calls made were unanswered and the message left on the machine did not help either. Not willing to give up, I emailed Spink London. To cut the story short, the email was responded by not entertained, if you know what I mean. Last May when I was notified that someone from Spink London will be coming to town in June I jumped at the opportunity to meet. Through email I was told that the market for the items that I collect is thin and that they are not feasible to be put through auction. I was still eager to meet if possible but I would definitely understand if my request got turned down. Although I did not put much hope with "I will try to give you a ring when I arrive in Kuala Lumpur" a 30-second-call to let me know that the meeting cannot take place would be nice.

Anyway, this is not about me not being happy with Spink, its about the interest in tin Animal Currency being dead and buried in certain quarters. To be fair, this is much expected, with not many items found and made available for collectors these past few decades there is nothing to stir the interest let alone make the market interested or excited about tin Animal Currency.

No comments: