THE MALAY ARCHIPELAGO

Drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (Published by The London Printing & Publishing Company about 1856).

Royalty free map available at Steve Bartrick Antique Prints and Maps.

The use of tin currencies issued by the Malay Peninsula was not restricted to areas in the peninsula but extends to a large area in the Malay Archipelago. Although the term Malay Archipelago is widely used, there is no official definition for this area. The widely accepted definition would include Malaysia (the Malay Peninsula, including southern Thailand that connects the Peninsula to the Asian mainland), Brunei, Singapore, Sumatra, Java, Kalimantan, Sulawesi and islands in the waters surrounded by these large islands. (Source - Bank Negara Malaysia, 1995. Pameran Matawang Perdagangan Kepulauan Melayu (18 Mei - 14 Jun 1995) Unit Muzium Matawang, Bank Negara Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, p. 9.)


Sunday, June 13, 2010

RING CURRENCY AND ANIMAL CURRENCY ITEMS IN A COLLECTION IN WASHINGTON, USA

About the same time when I got to know Bob Reis' website I also discovered Scott Semans World Coins. Scott has been a coin dealer since 1966, he specializes in Asian and African coins and "ethnograpgic ("primitive") money. I did not buy anything from Scott but I traded with him a book he wanted to have with a few auction catalogs that I needed badly to write my book (yet to be published, The Forgotten Tin Ring Currency of the Malay Peninsula). I later discovered that Scott has a few items of Ring Currency and Animal Currency in his collection. He was kind enough to sent me a scan these items.

I have not been in touch with Scott for quite some time but you can read about Malay Tin Monies on his website, see images of items and buy them depending on availability. I asked Scott whether he was willing to sell certain items in the scan he sent me but he declined. I was a bit disappointed for not being able to buy these items but at the same time happy to know that after many many years of having these items in his collection they are still not for sale hence indicating how valuable they are to him. Scott Seman is based in Issaquah, Washington, USA.

No comments: